Friday, May 25, 2012

Media Matters

Jason, Ally, me, Scott Jo @ the DareDevil Museum
Aussie crew down at Terrapin Point
Although just a humble tour guide these days, I was a tv news producer when I was much younger.  It was an interesting profession whose rewards were not typically monetary for me.  It was enriching to be the most interesting person at the dinner party, however.
Fast forward to this past weekend, when I was taken on by the 60 Minutes crew from Australia.  They wanted to interview me about the history of tightrope walkers and the loads of dreamers and kooks who challenged Niagara for fame and riches.  After talking to the crew's producer, she decided it might be a good idea to just hire me for a few days to take them around and be their sherpa.
It was exciting to have the feeling of working in tv again.  The crew members, Ally, Jo, Jason and Scott--are all sharp witted professionals who are worldly, but not jaded.  For a fleeting moment I was seduced into desiring the broadcast journalism lifestyle.  As I write this from my middle class home in a middle class existence, I am happy to be right where I am.  Yeah it is exciting to follow the news wherever it takes you; but the trip to get there must certainly become laborious after a while.

So we had a lot of fun and worked really hard obtaining the footage we needed to create the story about Nik Wallenda.  I contributed in a small way and hope that I make the final cut and appear on TV is Australia.  I'm looking forward to June when another Australian crew will come here and need a little guidance to navigate Niagara. 

No comments:

Post a Comment